Saturday, January 19, 2008

Learning to Oil Paint in New Jersey

Hi There, I live in New Jersey and I'm interested in finding out everything this state has to offer for people with the desire to learn how to Oil Paint. Art Schools, Workshops, Private Teachers, Seminars or Demonstrations, you name it I want to know about it. I'm betting there are many people in Jersey with the desire to learn how to oil paint that would just love to take a Night Class or Weekend Workshop, but simply just don't know where to go. Advertising costs limit the ability for many fine Art Schools and Work Shops to reach out beyond the local community to attract students from other towns or counties. I would like to help put an end to all that, and that's what this Blog is all about. Word of mouth is the best advertiser. I would like the Artists of New Jersey to share there learning experiences of oil painting. Tell us about the Schools and Workshops in your area that have taken you to that next level on the never ending journey of learning how to oil paint. I would like New Jersey Artists to paint in words what they have learned from this state. Tell us all about the art classes and workshops in your community and how these classes helped you grow as artists.
I have only been oil painting for a few years now and I have so much to learn. I have taken the Painting With Oils night class at the Art's Guild of Rahway for the past couple of years. And let me tell you, what a gem this place is. A classical old historical building with so much charm you feel like an artist just walking through the door. With it's ever changing art gallery of local talent on the main floor, you can't help but be inspired to become a better artist. The art teachers are extremely knowledgeable and always ready to help you with any difficulties you may have. Had I not been fortunate enough to stumbled upon the Art's Guild of Rahway I may have struggled with oil painting for many more years on my own to get to this level or possibly became so frustrated that I just gave it up. I am hoping accomplished artists in the area will take the time to share with the many aspiring artists in New Jersey ....all of there Gems!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice paintings and blog! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your works in progress with some insight to the techniques and thought process in the blog.

Rocco

Michael Anthony Galante said...

Friday, January 25, 2008
Hi there Rocco, thanks for the compliment and thanks for checking out my blog .Let me just start out by saying my local art classes were cancelled this semester due to lack of attendance! as if that weren’t bad enough, I herd my art teacher fell down in her yard and got a concussion. ( So Ronna if you get to read this I hope your feeling better!) In the mean time, to stay motivated in the wonderful world of art I’ve decided to blog about learning how to paint in New Jersey . I’m really new to all this so it’s a big learning curve for me, I’ve only been oil painting for a few years so I can use all the help I can get......All I know for sure is that I just love to oil paint, and the only way to get better at it is to learn as much as you can from the people that are good at it! And to just keep on painting!! There is an old saying that "your first thousand paintings are going to be bad, so you should just hurry up and get them over with"........believe me I’m trying but sometimes it just gets tough to stay motivated on your own. I need art classes ....they force you to paint and the more you paint the better you will get right, so my advise to everyone who has a passion to learn how to paint is, just go to a local art class or work shop in your community, they need your support as much as you need theirs. So don’t worry about the laundry or the dirty dishes in the sink just got to art class, all that stuff will still be there when you get home I promise. OK Rocco back to your question about works in progress, techniques and the though process. All good questions. Let me just state that in my quest to put my first thousand paintings behind me, I find that an extremely helpful part of the learning process is to make study paintings of the works of other artists. So let it be noted that several of the photos posted are studies of that learning process and strictly for that purpose. I will post more pictures of my original works in progress along with some of the techniques I have learned along the way form art classes, books, magazines, and good old fashion trial and error ! I will also post links to many of my favorite art sites that offer a wealth of information and answered so many of the puzzling questions on the process of oil painting .So please stay tuned !

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Anastasia from Ukraine. I just accidentlly foun you blog and I love those pictures. I like drawing and panting, but I'm not good of that. But I love art, all kind of art and those pictures just awesome.

Michael Anthony Galante said...

Hi Anastasia, Thanks for checking out my blog and thank you so much for the compliment. I found a great site art site I think you might like from the Ukraine. Hopefully these fine artists will inspire and motivate you in your love of art.

http://www.artukraine.com/artgallery.htm