Sunday, February 24, 2008

Califon New Jersey Oil Painting

Alright I’m starting another painting, this one is from a picture I took while fly fishing in Califon New Jersey. Frog Hollow Garage, I couldn't resist stoping to take a picture of this interesting little garage on a side street. If I didn’t get lost I would have never found it. This is why I always keep my digital camera with me, because you never know when a wrong turn will lead you into a cool oil painting.
I decided to take a different approach on this painting by doing a light sketch with Paynes Gray and then filling in the dark areas. I squint my eyes till everythings a big blur of dark and light tones, then I just paint what I see. It looks kind of primitive at first but as I go on I’ll start removing paint with solvent dipped brushes to reveal details and highlights.

No comments: