Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sad Angel


This painting was inspired by a cemetery angel that caught my eye while visiting family at the North Arlington Cemetery.

There’s something about cemetery angels, they give me the feeling of peace and hope, like someone is watching over our lost love ones.

It seems wherever I go these days I’m looking for something to paint. I must have painted a thousand paintings in my head, the hard part is getting them onto the canvas.

After a resent visit to the Arlington Cemetery in Washing DC. I reflected on the endless sea of white tomb stones for the service men and women who gave there lives for our country and freedom.

I couldn’t help but feel that the angels are suffering also. And that’s what I’m trying to express in this painting.

I don’t usually paint as expressive, contemporary and I guess sloppy as this, but it felt good getting the emotion onto the canvas.






No comments: