Thursday, May 6, 2010

Artists need to be around other artists to grow


A good friend of mine in art class....... “ and a very talented artist I might add ” has decided to paint her passion..........Food !

Why not ..... they say to paint what you know and love... right ?

Tonight she’s painting a bowl of pasta and I have to say it looks good enough to eat. Even after she dropped it down a flight of stairs at the end of class ! Lol !!

I haven’t discovered my passion for a particular subject matter just yet, but she’s got me thinking about it.

And as simple as that may sound...... it’s one of the best things about working with other artists.

People freely sharing there thoughts, knowledge, ideas and maybe even a passion or two. I don’t get that in to many gatherings these days. Most of my friends just want to get drunk and watch football.

Ok ...there’s nothing wrong with that ( I love football) but at the end of the day it’s not going to make me a better artist.

Artists need to be around other artists to grow. The support and encouragement shared between artists is a necessity to endure the pitfalls of self doubt.

Take away this positive influential camaraderie and one can easily become discouraged into isolated artistic stagnation. .....(Haha ....I laughed when I read that back !) ...But its true.

No comments: