Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oil Painting Notes, Painting the Negative Space

VOGUE SERIES 8

I started Vogue Model number 8 tonight, again no detail at the early stage just blocking in color with big hogs hair brushes.

I’d like to mention some good advice a friend of mine gave me when I was having difficulty in class capturing the likeness of an assignment.

She said to "try painting the negative space" (Thanks Pat ! )

This little bit of advice has turned out to be a big help.

The negative space is that empty space between the arms , legs ,contours in fabric, the space between the figure and the end of the canvas ect.

When you stop to look there’s negative space all over and it’s a great guild to use in keeping your drawing on track.

Now that I’m mindful about sizing up the negative space, I wonder how I ever got through a painting or drawing without using it.


No comments: