Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wednesday night art class


Here’s a study in progress of a few baseball gloves that a student had in the trunk of her car. I like painting spontaneous stuff because it makes you think. You never know what’s going to come up in art class.

We started with a small thumb nail sketch to develop the composition, then our instructor Ray Horner told us to start with a blue under painting and work out from there, allowing the under painting to show through.

I have to say it helped a lot by setting up a good mid tone to work from. Pulling out lights in the beginning with a rag / brush and adding dark’s as needed all along blending into the blue and shaping the painting.

If you notice I moved the lower baseball to the other side of the black glove because I thought it gave for a better composition.

I took some reference pictures of this still life in class and I would really like to bring the painting to a finish. If I can find the time this week I may work on it at home, but with " Superbowl Sunday " coming up I doubt it.


No comments: