Monday, July 18, 2011

Art Mentor......

I had a really strange dream last night that I was being judged unfavorably for my youthful ways by of all people my old high school art teacher..... Like I said it was a really strange dream.


But then I got to thinking ...... I never really had an art mentor as I child.. No one ever took me under there wing and gave me the guidance I needed grow. Sure my parents yelled at me “do this ! don’t do that !” but no one ever really sat me down and said “so you like art do ya kid ? Well here’s what you should be doing, let me show you."

Nope.....I had non of that growing up, not even from my old high school art teacher.

“Who incidently I looked up on Rate My Teachers.com and was not surprised to see he got a very bad review.” Lol !!

So as I try to make sense of this wacky dream, I look back on my youth and I see a kid with a ton of creative energy but little guidance to develop. I was taught nothing about drawing and painting growing up. I had to figure things out on my own and not always with favorable results.

Its taken me a long time to get where I am and I feel I’ve only scratched the surface. With a good artist mentor in my life I wonder where my art would be today. Don’t get me wrong I’m not feeling sorry for myself. But at “forty something” I feel like I’m still painting with the artistic training wheels on !

Anyway..... I guess my point here is if you have an opportunity to share your artistic talents with an aspiring young artist, then by all means do so. It’s a gift worth giving and it guarantees that you’ll never get a bad review on Rate My Teachers.com !

PS

Anything is possible if you believe in yourself, despite your crappy old high school art teacher.

No comments: