Sunday, February 10, 2008

Clown Oil Painting

This is my second session on this painting. I am using a variety of hogs hair filberts and a 2 ½ inch blending brush. At this stage I still consider this to be an under painting. I’ve built up the color slowly by adding a small amount of titanium white to my colors for opacity while making sure not to use pure white at this stage. I’ll save the pure white for the final details, this will make the painting pop out later on. You may have noticed that I blend the painting at this stage. I feel that this gives the painting the depth I’m looking for. Later on as I add more color, detail , texture, highlights and hard & soft edges to bring the subject forward, the areas I have blended now should recede nicely into the back round.

2 comments:

joeyk5150 said...

Hi, love the blog and the paintings! Also, I like the insight you give as you go along in creating a painting. I took a few art history class's in college, and whenever I would see either a Monet, Bellini, Giotto ect., I often wondered what was going through there minds as they created there masterpieces. It kind of gives another sense of appreciation to art when you know the process it took to get to the finished product. I look forward to checking out your future paintings!

Michael Anthony Galante said...

Hi Joe K. Thanks for checking out my blog and thank you for the kind words. I’ve always enjoyed talking about art and the whole painting process, but outside of the art world there’s not to many people who can appreciate a good old art conversation. The whole blogging community has been a great way for me to express my thoughts about my art and its keeping me motivated that’s the important thing. Its always nice when someone takes the time to post a comment, as I often wonder if I’m just babbling on to myself here! Thanks again for your support and please come back again, because I’m motivated to paint and I feel compelled to babble about it!