Sunday, February 10, 2008

What's on your easel ?

Today I have a clown on mine!
I found this little 3 inch clown figure that I thought would make an interesting painting. I want to paint it on a 14 x 18 canvas, and for me sizing this little guy up from 3x2 inches to 14 x 18 inches can be a real problem. So I’ve decided to take a digital picture of the little guy in the proper lighting with a cast shadow for a more dramatic affect. Then I cropped it on Photoshop and printed it out on grided paper. I then put a similar grid onto my 18x 14 canvas and proceeded to draw the clown with a thin wash of burnt sienna oil paint. (The brushes I used were a #12 hogs hair filbert, # 10 red sable bright and #8 & 18 red sable cats tongue). I find this approach to be a good method to correctly enlarge an object, I will still reflect back to the figure during the painting process for accuracy , dept and shadow. The whole procedure to get to this point took me about an hour.

No comments: