Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Giust Gallery sculpture reproductions, The Winged Victory of Samothrace


After doing much research I finely decided to purchase my first quality cast from The Giust Gallery located in Woburn, MA. They offer a wide selection of sculpture reproductions many of which are from the original castings, made by Caproni over 100 years ago. Since 1992 The Giust Gallery has been owned by Robert Shure (a renowned sculptor in his own right). Cast reproductions are made from gypsum plaster and water mixed. Casts require multiple layers to form the required thickness. The last layer is reinforced with burlap fibers or metal pipe.

Shipment to New Jersey took about 2 weeks and I couldn't have packed it better myself. It took some time and care to get through the foam box lining, shipping peanuts and taped on bubble wrap, but once I got the 19 inch tall The winged Victory of Samothrace  out of the box I couldn't have been more pleased.. The size, weight and detail of the figure are just what I was hoping for. 

They also make the Samothrace in larger sizes ( 29" & 39" inches) and a variety of patinas, the one pictured here is White Patina.




 












No comments: